Monday, August 31, 2009

Choosing Poverty

Last fall, we moved to our current apartment to be closer to my husband's school. We came with enough money to pay first first semester's tuition and two months of living expenses, in case he didn't find a job right away. It was exactly one year ago...
.
I had just delivered the baby, Bobby, on Thursday, August 21. We left the hospital on Saturday, August 23, and settled into our new apartment. We had brought all of our stuff two weeks before, but were waiting for the baby to officially move and unpack. My husband's classes began that Monday, August 25.
.
We decided that with the new baby, new move, and classes beginning, we would take that first week "off" in regard to job hunting.
.
My husband soon got serious about finding a job. He put in his resume everywhere. There were several factories and other entry level jobs, because a Bible college degree gets you an entry level job.
.
Walmart was the first to interview him and hired him on the spot, well, once he passed the drug test. He didn't want to wait for a better offer, and I appreciate the security that brings to our family.
.
Walmart gives him flexible hours so that he can go to class, which is what we moved here for. We chose to be in the financial position we are in because it helps us reach our goal of my husband finishing school. Had he taken a higher paying factory job, he would have been very limited in the classes he could take and it would take us longer to reach our goal.
.
He also got this job before the economic crash last fall. We are not "victims" of the economy. We had chosen to be at this income level before other people were losing their jobs. A Walmart job is pretty secure in this economy. He even gets bonuses when sales are up. He's also already gotten two raises.
.
I say this because 1) we are not really looking to change our economic status. We are content. However, I don't mind that I've already made a whopping $1.68 in AdSense from this blog. And 2) I understand that there are many people in my financial situation who did not choose it, and they were not prepared like we were. Although I take our position pretty jovially, I know that is hard for many people to do that, and I am sorry for that.
.
I know that other people may find it a great tragedy to be in our position. We don't.

10 comments:

Mrs. White said...

This is a very interesting post! Wal-Mart is certainly a good job! I am happy to hear you are all doing well! It is encouraging to see how families survive on a small income. This is an excellent lesson for many readers.

There are people who make a lot of money, but waste it and struggle financially. More lessons on living on less are needed in this society.

There is an article on my blog about living on a small income. It is called, "Living on Faith Marriage." Here is the link:

http://thelegacyofhome.blogspot.com/2009/06/living-on-faith-marriage.html

Blessings
Mrs. White

Scrappy quilter said...

What a great post. We all make choices and to learn to be content with those choices at a young age is incredible. You guys have done that and I applaud you. Great job!!

Stacey said...

Just found your site. Being content is very important. Looking forward to more tips!

alison said...

I think it's important for everyone to realize that we each choose our lives. My husband and I chose to get married while still in college, we chose to have kids right away. We chose to do more schooling (even though right now I'm wondering why-1 year left!). We chose all of it. We're responsible for our choices, and we can certainly choose to be happy for the blessings we have, the life we chose to lead.

Jessica Morris said...

It is refreshing and wonderful to see you so cheerful about your current situation! What a blessing you are to your husband as he works and does school to get you all into a better situation :)

Carla said...

I know exactly what you mean. People don't know how we do it. We live off DH's very part time job and I'm a SAHM and we do great! It was a leap of faith when I quit my job to be a SAHM since I was the breadwinner but it was the greatest decision ever :)

Terri said...

I'm curious about how the income from "AdSense" works. Can you give some details?

Emily said...

Mrs White, I found your post very incouraging. Thanks for linking to it.

Carla, I'm glad to have you as a reader. I love hearing other people's stories. It sounds like you did the right thing and the world around you marvelled.

Terri, when someone clicks on the ads on the side of the blog, or the ads below each post, I get paid for it.

Patty said...

I'm still new to your site so forgive me i fyou have commented o nthis elsewhere but I was just currious (not acusingly)
You said you would go to the free store on your way home from work but then you said you wouldn't take things from the people at chruch. I can understand not wanting other people to spend their money on you but if it is legitimetly something that persone doesn't need anymore then would it not be the same repurposing? You don't seem to want government assistance that was designed for people tryin gto better themselves just as you are. Personal preferences? Just something to think about.

Emily said...

Patty, the problem with one church's giving over another is some people do it out of pity and others out of love. The free store wasn't about being a charity, it was more of a community resource where I could give what I didn't need and get what I did. The government handouts is a different story altogether, but since we don't NEED most government handouts, we don't take them. For more on church giving, read this post:
http://under1000permonth.blogspot.com/2009/10/church-community.html

Post a Comment