Monday, August 24, 2009

Pregnancy Brain Example

.
It is not often that someone in my economic position can save $50 in one day. I hear tips about how to save $100's from your monthly budget, but those tips are for people who are spending $100's more than I am. So here is how I somewhat regretfully saved $50 over the weekend.
.
I had an appointment with my midwife on Friday. She lives two hours south of me, which, with gas and tolls, is $20 for me.
.
On Saturday, I was planning on going to my husband's family reunion, which is two hours north of me. Again, $20 of gas and tolls. It was a potluck reunion, so I would have to bring food. It was also my mother-in-law's birthday, so I was planning on framing this picture of the boys for her and picking her up a candy bar. This would be an additional $10. Do you see where this is going?
On Wednesday, my midwife called saying she would need to reschedule the appointment. We both looked at our calendar and decided that Friday morning at the crack of dawn was the only time we could both commit to. I was fine with that, but she wasn't too comfortable with me having to get up so early to come see her; she likes her pregnant ladies to get their sleep. Still we set the appointment and that was what I was planning on.
.
Then, on Thursday afternoon, she called again. She told me that her boyfriend had a family reunion near me on Saturday and she could come for a home visit. I was so excited. I was planning on skipping the pre-birth day home visit due to the extra expense. (I would have to pay $75 for the midwife to come see me, instead of $20 to go see the midwife.) But I really wanted her to know where I lived so I wouldn't have to talk her through the directions while I was in labor. She would be able to look over the 450 square foot apartment to confirm that there would actually be enough room for me, my husband, two kids, new baby, two midwives, doula, and my step-mom and step-sister, who would be watching the kids during labor. I was so excited that she would be coming.
.
When I hung up the phone, my husband kindly reminded me about our family reunion I had committed to attending with the kids - he would be at work. Oh, well. Although I sincerely do love my in-laws, it gives me more peace to have my midwife come. So, the practical lesson in all of this is that if you have pregnancy brain, or are just flighty, some good may come of it, like $50 you can save.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not send the boys at your step mom while you are giving birth? There will be more room for everybody else.

Emily said...

I want my boys to be there and see the baby when it is real new. I want them to understand that this baby came from Mommy. It's a personal decision, of course, but my midwife also encouraged it. She said it virtually eliminates sibling rivalry. It seems like birthing should be more of a family celebration, and no one is more my family than my boys. Does that make sense?

Anonymous said...

No but that's ok :)
Everybody's views are different...

Post a Comment