Thursday, September 17, 2009

Easy, Basic Hamburger Recipe

My hamburgers are generally pretty simple. However, today I measured wrong when grating my carrots for carrot bread, so I had some extra grated carrots left over. I mixed these in with my pound of ground beef and made four patties. I think I'll do this every time; you can't taste the carrots if you don't like carrots, but you can see them.

burgers 003

1 lb ground beef - $1.30
4 oz grated carrots - $0.16


We used one half of our crock pot bread recipe. I sliced four slices for my husband and I and chopped the rest into two large "biscuits" for the kiddos. The crock pot bread is awesome for hamburgers because the burger and bread are the same size and shape.


1/2 crock pot bread - $0.33


We put on cheese, onion and ketchup. I make my own ketchup, so it really is good and nutritious. My toddler eats platefuls of this ketchup like it's pudding. When he's done eating this jar, I'll make another batch and post the recipe.
1/2 cup ketchup - $0.32
2 oz of onion - $0.06
4 cheese slices - $0.32

The major downfall of this meal is there are no leftovers, so I plan to have it after chicken night so there are plenty of chicken leftovers for my husband's lunch tomorrow.

9 comments:

malinda said...

Ooh! I can't wait for the ketchup post. We refuse to pay the price for organic or sugar free, so we go without at this point. My kids would love to have ketchup in the house again, and I'd love for it not to be full of crap.

Sarah said...

I have a bunch of carrots and ground turkey. I think I'll make some patties and freeze them for future use!

Kathy said...

What in the world is crockpot bread? Enlighten me please.

Emily said...

Kathy, I wrote a whole post about it. I linked it to this post, but here it is http://under1000permonth.blogspot.com/2009/08/crock-pot-bread-065.html

It's just regular bread, baked in large cans in the crock pot. It saves a ton on energy over oven baking.

DarcyLee said...

I'm looking forward to your ketchup recipe. I am trying to get rid of all sugar in our house and it is hard but I'm determined. Have a great day.

Alicen said...

Oooh, homemade ketchup. Sounds interesting.

I love hamburgers :) I don't think I could sneak in the carrot though. My husband doesn't mind carrots but wouldn't want to see them in his burger :) Maybe some carrot puree would hide in there though! Hmmm, I'll have to try that!

Emily said...

Alicen, my husband wasn't too impressed that he could see the carrots, but he admitted couldn't taste them. Maybe carrot puree is the way to go. I think I'll try that next time, too.

Robin said...

I add shredded carrot and zucchini to any ground meat recipe, and pureed veggies of all types to sauces like spaghetti sauce. Easy ways to add more veggies!

What do you serve on the side of your burgers? I've done cole slaw on the side and it's been a nice cheap side dish.

Emily said...

Penny Saver, if I can, I don't add a side. It just makes more work and costs more. With getting the carrots in the burgers, I don't think I'll ever make a side for hamburgers.

Post a Comment