Saturday, December 12, 2009

More Christmas Crafts

I still have some more Christmas crafting to do. I find cold winter months are my best crafting months. Crafts keep me from the winter blues and give me fun indoor activities since we can't go outside as much.

Baby Booties

I have a love-hate relationship with booties. They are basically useless, but so cute. If a baby is not wearing booties an older lady is bound to approach you and scold you for it. My husband and I used to ignore these older ladies, knowing they were well meaning but that our babies don't need booties in August. Our resolve has been battered-down and broken. We now plan our children's wardrobe so as not to be approached and scolded by older ladies. When we take Thomas' snowsuit off at church, he will be sporting these booties. I found this free booty pattern, through Dustin's blog. I thought a choo-choo train would be so cute for Thomas. They need a little finishing around the opening and then they'll be ready.
I usually see my sister sometime between Christmas and New Year's Eve, so after Christmas I'll be making at least one pair for her baby girl. I'm thinking black Mary Janes.

Ukranian Eggs

This Easter tradition can make great tree ornaments. You can find full instructions and tons of patterns here.

I am going to be making egg-shaped lady bugs. Lady bugs are supposed to symbolize good luck on a tree. I'm not buying any of the traditional materials, but using household items. I draw on the pattern with lard, which repels the dye as well as wax, but you have to be careful about smudging it. I put it in a baggie with a pinhole to draw, just like you would draw with frosting.

Star Trek Stockings

My husband and I recieved a pair of stockings for a wedding present. They were hideous. We never got into the stocking tradition because of it. I've wanted a uniform stocking for everyone in the family. My mom made stockings for all of us and they were basically the same, each with our names on them. So, when I saw these on GeekCrafts, I had an "ah-ha moment." I have found our stockings. My goal is to have one made by this Christmas, as a bonus gift for my husband, with the promise of having a whole family of stockings by next year, probably finished by the spring. With this free stocking pattern, I can easily add another one when we have another baby.

Generation Block Tower

This is what I did last year for my kids' great-grand parents, but I thought I'd share it anyway. I got three photo cubes and filled each one with photos from a specific generation. My grandparents got a block with my mom and her siblings at different ages, one of me and my siblings, and one filled with my kids. The blocks build a tower that is suitable for displaying baby pictures. I made a set for each of Dan's Nanas, customized with pictures they would enjoy. It takes some work collecting these pictures, but was a cute personalized project that older family members would love.

18 comments:

Me said...

Emily I may not agree with you on many things but I give you huge credit for stretching a dollar. these crafts are darling! I love the booties you made. So cute. The blocks are adorable. I think I will have that as one of the crafts over the older kids school break.

Thanks again!

Kathryn

"Morethnrubies1" said...

LOVE the stockings!

Unknown said...

I think I'm getting old! When I'm out in the winter time and see babies without booties or hats it bugs me. I haven't said anything to their moms yet:o

Anonymous said...

I don't recall anything in the bible about christmas stockings. Or star trek for that matter.

Seems a little duplicitous to not have a christmas tree because its not in the bible; then have stockings and star trek...

Emily said...

Yes, anon, it would be duplicitous if we didn't have a Christmas tree because it was not in the Bible but did have stockings, even though they are not in the Bible. However, I never said we weren't have a tree because it wasn't in the Bible, but because it was in the Bible, as an idol. Jeremiah 10.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I thought that Idol's were worshipped. I've never seen anyone prostrate themselves in front of a Christmas tree and worship it.

On the other hand, I do recall Catholics going nuts over crosses and crusafixes.. And born again's go wild for the physical book of the bible.

Anonymous said...

Emily, I'm cracking up over the old ladies scolding you about no baby booties! When my son was only 4-months-old I took him to a family reunion and got scolded by Dh's mother's cousin because my baby wasn't wearing shoes! It was October and hot as summer and he was 4 months old. It's not like he needed shoes to walk anywhere! :) The booties you're making are cute.

Elizabeth said...

Anonymous...
As a Catholic I take offense to you saying we go nust over crosses and crusifixes. We do have these things, but just as a Christmas tree is not worshipped, we also do not worship these.

Randine said...

Anon- I dont understand why you post if you dont like or agree with *anything* that emily posts. Get.A.Grip.

Good ideas Emily!

frugalredneck said...

Emily, We do have a christmas tree, although I'm not sure why, It serves no purpose. No presents are put out until christmas eve, We do have stockings, But they are huge around 3 ft long, I have extras on hand incase father in law ( like this year comes) Everyone brings one thing to put in the stocking of the other until filled. We do not do santa never have. And we do 3 gifts for each person, like jesus recieved. Now I have stated before that my walk with god is fairly new, Not sure what of my ways are in the bible, But I think for me, god does not want us doing santa, That is what he says to me, maybe not to others. It is what god says to you. Anon try one new tradition this christmas, just once see if it fits you, Stop judging others. I had such a problem with neighbors when we moved in here, like chickens gossiping, I had no desire to go around defending myself. So I put a sign in the front yard: Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones!!!! Now I'm the crazy religious freak, But they no longer gossip about me, hahahahaha. On the blog note, I loveeeeeeeee those booties, I am a bootie nut, But have not been able to keep a bootie on any one of my 6 kids hahahah, I'm making them anyway for the 3 little ones!!!!! And the picture cubes, ttytytytytytyty I needed one great gift for my father in law, who lost everything in the kansas floods 2 years ago, And this is perfect for his new home. Much much appreciated that. Michelle (frugalredneck.blogspot.com)

dust in the wind said...

I love the booties you made! Thanks for sharing my link :) If you think getting scolded by old ladies is bad here you should try India. We lived there for a while and were always getting pestered about how our kids were dressed. Nevermind the fact their babies were sweating under layer after layer! Lol. I never know what to say when people try to "help" me in that way... Oh well! Thanks for sharing your crafts!

Clisby said...

Emily, you're probably right to cave in to the old ladies. If you think they're flocking around now, just wait until Dan has a church of his own.

Jena Webber said...

Oh Emily, you sure are getting a battering from comments about the last post. I'm with you and am praying for you. Controversial traffic is traffic, no? LOL. I'm making a bunch of gifts this year also. And my blog would not be very impressive if I had to title it something like "How a family barely gets by on less than $5,000 a month, except when it made more.."

Sorry, I think people need to see what a valiant undertaking this is, and it should be commended. When people like us (who have never really struggled until this year) are just now learning the things you know at such a young age and are having a hard time learning, it should make us appreciate those who are doing a lot more, with a lot less, and with many little hands to take care of also...

Anonymous said...

Emily,

I just want to thank you for doing God's work. Maybe you will join our church someday. You would be most welcome, Dear.

www.landoverbaptist.com

Patty said...

Love the booties. I saw this on another blog and thought you might be interested. It cost this person less than $2 of supplies but you might even have enough scraps around to save that. She did play food but I can imagine dinosaurs, cars and airplanes too for the boys.
http://frugalgranola.blogspot.com/2008/12/frugal-friday-gifts-for-under-2.html

Patty said...

Ok, I know you don't have time now, but I wanted to send this idea to you anyway so you can choose to ignore it, file it for later or use it as a distraction to get you through time now...
With three sons so far and ones that love cars (as you mentioned in the car cake pan post) this is the link to someones quilt idea with 'roads' stitched on. I think it could be fun to do an oval 'race car track' as well. I'm sure a kid can 'drive' around the house and furniture just fine but this does seem like a fun (washable)alternative to buying the scratchy plastic rugs I've seen. I'm excited to make one for my newphew and his soon to be brother.
http://www.naturalfamilycrafts.com/2010/01/floor-quilt-with-roads.html

Patty said...

Ok, I'm back...can't stay away. Anyway, I was thinking about the car quilt idea and then thought about doing it as a pillow case (I'm much better at sewing those!), then I realized it could be done (or coordinated with a matching) as a drawstring 'bag' that would be used to store all the little cars, trains, horses, dinosaurs, etc. Might fit your space saving/organized toys.

Emily said...

Patty, I love this idea. I'm a little torn between the pillowcase or quilt, but I'll be on the lookout for scrap fabric that will be good for this.

Post a Comment